
Now Dave is on his next adventure and we are really excited for him. He left on a surgical service trip to Guatemala with the Hirsche Smiles Foundation. (It's like Operation Smile) When one of the pediatric plastic surgeons at Primary's invited him on the trip we were so excited because we've always talked about doing a trip like this. Too bad Anna and I couldn't tag along this time, but hopefully we'll have another chance one day. We are so blessed in this country to have such easy access to great medical care and I am glad that Dave chose a specialty where he can share his knowledge and abilities with those who are in need, but have no help in their own country.
I wasn't expecting to hear from him so soon, but he happens to be rooming with someone who brought their laptop. I was so excited to see these pictures of their first day! Today they screened patients and tomorrow they will start operating. (That is, if the rest of their luggage which holds the surgical equipment makes it there on time!) They plan to operate on about 70 people in 5 days.
Here's Dave in front of the hospital
And this is the hospital waiting room. Most of these families traveled for 8 hours or more to get here and they don't have any money so they will spend the week in this room while their children are operated on.
He also sent a few pics of a few of the patients they are going to operate on.
They are going to build a brand new ear for this little girl. With part of a rib. Incredible, huh?
I think this little girl is so adorable! I just want to give her a big squeeze! She has a cleft that affects her nose, so they will repair her left nostril.
This is a patient that has a cleft palate. You can see how it affects their nose and the inside of the mouth. This is probably the most common surgery that they will perform while they are there.
And here's the surgical team!

I am so grateful that Dave has this wonderful opportunity to serve while he learns. What a humbling experience. I can't wait to hear about every single case. I hope that Dave can continue these types of trips throughout his career. Next time you make a joke about Dave bettering the world, one boob at a time, remember that he does stuff like this too! :)
5 comments:
What an awesome experience. Hopefully you guys can join him sometime..and I can tag along too!
How inspiring! I can't believe they will operate on 70 people in 5 days! It is so wonderful that Dave can participate in trips like this. I can't wait to hear all the stories!
What a wonderful experience and opportunity Dave has to help those cute sweet little children. His stories will inspire all of us and I'm anxious to hear about each child as well. Both you and Dave have big hearts so I'm sure you will be helping him continue this wonderful service.
I'm sure Dave will continue trips like this throughout his career. I'm pretty positive that this must have been one of the main reasons why he chose plastics. It will be so great for you to join him one day. What an experience.
I always remind myself that I don't even comprehend how blessed I am. The photo of the families waiting reminded me of this. I can't imagine how Dave must feel to be a part of all of this.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing about service trips like this. These people can't do much to help themselves, and then a team of doctors comes in and saves the day. I don't think we can truly comprehend the difference they make in their lives. I bet even the surgeons don't fully comprehend it. Not only do they heal them physically, I'm sure it does WONDERS for their confidence. And that is priceless.
Post a Comment