Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Guatemala - Day 2

Here are the patients that Dave helped operate on today...

Warning: These are surgical photos. If you get grossed out, don't look! I used to get really grossed out, but after four years of Dave trying to impress me with his text book full of gross pictures, I am starting to become immune. Just want to warn you!

This little baby had a cleft lip...


This guy had something called a congenital hairy nevus. If you remember my post about my friend who was adopting a girl from China, she also has one of these on her face. These are usually cancerous, so it's not just a cosmetic surgery. They removed the skin and replaced it with skin grafts from behind the ears.

Here he is post-op. Isn't that amazing?

This guy is only 26 and he had skin cancer on his nose, so they had to remove his nose and skin above his lip. They'll operate on him again later this week to build a new nose with skin and muscle from his forehead.

Dave, Dr. Siddiqi, and the nice nurse that I don't know.

5 comments:

gaylynne said...

Amazing and inspiring is all I can say...I didn't get grossed out at all. What a wonderful opportunity for service. You all will be so blessed.

Stina said...

Thanks for the warning. I tried not to get grossed out, but just glanced really quickly at the pictures and focused on your words. Aren't you amazed by the skills your husband is able to master? So cool!

Sue said...

These pictures are hard for me to look at, not because I have a weak stomach but because it's hard to see what some people have to deal with.

Dave is no less then a hero in my eyes. I can't wait to show my kids what their uncle Dave does to help people.

Darcie said...

Awesome! It's amazing what can be done to help these people. I'm wondering why they have that one patient's eyes taped shut. My first thought was so that he doesn't accidently wake up during the procedure and see what's going on, but what's the real reason?

d feist said...

That's why there are people like Dave in this world. I could never do anything like that. Are you guys in for the cruise later this year?