Anna has been coming up with new things every day to keep herself entertained. Here are a few things she's been doing while we're just hangin out at home.
Couch Potato
I guess you're not a couch potato if you're sitting in a box, eating a graham cracker, and coloring at the same time while you're watching Curious George.
Downward Facing Dog
our little artist
Anna loves to doodle. She usually always has a pencil or marker in her hand. She doesn't bother sitting to draw anymore. She sprawls out on the ground and really gets into her work.
Take a Seat She still loves a good seat. She and her friend Milo decided they preferred the bench to eat their hot dogs.
OUTs
We have been doing our best to get around town and out of town as much as possible to discover this great new place we're living. Dave doesn't get around town much, basically just to and from the hospital, but when he does get a day off, we try to get out.
Our first stop was Blowing Rock. There is an old legend about an Indian brave who jumped from the rock and after his lover cried to the Gods, her man blew back to her on this rock. Ever since then there is a strange wind here and it pushes everything up, or something like that. When it snows, it supposedly snows upside down.
It was rather foggy. Actually that's an understatement. I have never seen so much fog. I felt like it was the end of the earth because you couldn't see anything in front of you but white. I bet the view is great on a clear day!
Grandfather Mountain and Mile High Bridge
Next we went to the beautiful Grandfather Mountain. Anna loved the wildlife habitats there and we got some good bear sightings in. The whole area has spectacular views. We couldn't visit Grandfather mountain without going on the famous Mile High Swinging Bridge
Then Dave took her across and he wasn't quite as paranoid as I was.
With a little freedom, Anna let loose and starting running across the bridge. I about had a heart attack. Yes, the bridge is secure, but it's called MILE HIGH bridge. And it swings with the wind and motion from all the people going across. Dave went up to check out the view from the end of the trail and I stayed with Anna so she wouldn't jump off the mountain. All she wanted to do was run across the bridge. I bet that was a funny sight - Anna running away from me across this scary bridge, while I'm chasing her, but trying to be gentle so she doesn't fall. And getting chuckles as well as disapprovals from our bypassers. I don't what I thought would happen. Somehow she would jump over the railing, or impossibly slide through the side rails or something. I don't know. I just didn't like it. And I was relieved to finally get Anna off that bridge. I bet it's a pretty view when you're not worrying about a 19 month old!
On the drive home we drove on Forrest Gump Curve. Recognize it?
The Butterfly FarmA few Saturdays ago, it was just us girls as usual and I was in the mood to do something more than Target or grocery shopping. I read about this cool Butterfly Farm. It's the place where people order them from if you want to release butterflies at your wedding or barmitzvah. I thought it sounded like fun so I promised Anna some butterflies and we loaded up and hit the road. After the 45 minute drive where the last 10 minutes consisted of driving down a dusty country road, we pulled up to a house. with a small screened greenhouse in the field in front of it. This was the Butterfly Farm? I'm not sure what I expected, but it was not this. And just my luck, they're only open to the public for an hour. That hour was 3 hours before we got there. But I promised Anna some butterflies, so we made the most of it and got out and Anna chased around the 2 butterflies that were outside of the greenhouse. She had fun. I felt a little betrayed. To make the trip worthwhile, we stopped at a Farmer's Market on the way home and got some tomatoes and a peach milkshake.
Charlotte
Dave had last weekend off, finally! And so we drove down to Charlotte on Saturday. We stopped by this humungo outlet mall and I knew we had to get out of there fast or else I would find something to buy. I will definitely head back there when we actually are in need of things though. We made our way to Charlotte which is a very fun city. We went to this big science museum, Discovery Place.
Anna liked the bears and kept giving them her best growls.
We saw a dinosaur puppet show (it was so ridiculous) and then Anna lifted a 4-wheeler.
But her very favorite was throwing balls into this bowl. This made her day. And ours.
After all that, we went to The Cheesecake Factory and indulged with some scrumptious dinner and dessert. It was a great day!
Gymboree
This really isn't too far "out". It's actually just down the street. On Monday Gymboree hosted an RSA (Resident Spouse Association) playgroup. Anna had a blast. They give residents discounts, but I still think it's expensive. Has anyone done it before? Do you think it's worth it? Anna really loved it, so I'm trying to decide...
And that is a glimpse of what we've been up to lately. Things are starting to settle. Realizing that we're here, for real, and that we're really never going back to Hollywood Ave again. It's fun. We're making new friends and figuring out our way of life here.
8 comments:
Love the pictures at the science museum, so cute! Gymboree... I just took Caroline there today for a trial class. She loved it too! I liked The Little Gym too, but Gymboree was cleaner. I feel like Caroline needs some social interaction, but then I think, "should I have to pay for social interaction?" But she did have a blast. I may just cave and pay the $60 a month fee and $35 enrollment fee. We'll see. So proud of Anna for making the most of the Butterfly farm. So waht if they're closed... find a butterfly anyway!
Thanks for the darling pictures and updates. I love that Anna has her purse with her in many of the pictures just in case she needs to use her cell phone or lipstick! I read somewhere that the Smokey Mountains get their name "Smokey" from all the fog created by the high humidity. Sounds good to me but I don't know if it is scientific or not. Give Anna a kiss and hug from us and we will see you in September!
Looks like you are taking advantage of all the great things NC has to offer! Awesome pictures of your trips and Anna is so cute. I love her multi-tasking while watching TV.
Love the new header Ash. Way cute. We missed you at Jill's shower this week. Wasn't the same without you. But never fear, we discussed a time to come out and see you if possible. How does next May look for you? Trish knows someone that has hookups with a beach house a few hours away from yours. Sounds fun right? And you'll get to meet all the new babies. Yay! Well, I love you and miss you. Looks like you are enjoying all things NC. Oh, and could Anna be any more adorable?
Hi! I just miss you guys. That's all I want to say right now.
Ash, I dont look at your blog for a couple months and its like a whirlwind...ok, NC? Where exactly...will you email me your new address? chelseabwood@gmail.com Thank you kindly. And I cant believe Annas WHITE hair...it is Beautiful.
It looks like your living it up and really finding all of the fun spots in NC. It looks so beautiful!
I'm so glad that your getting settled in. I went through some pictures on Mary and Colin's camera yesterday and they had some great pictures of your new home inside and out. I love it! I especially love your white kitchen.
I'm having a hard time checking out your blog because we miss you guys so much. I'm so glad that we're able to see some of the things that you guys have been doing. Anna's becoming such a big girl.
BTW- I would have totally hooked-up with you for lunch on Sister's Day. I consider you just as much my sister as my actual sister's. As for now, I'm the lone SIL in Utah. I was sad the other day when I received the mailer about this years Witches Night. That was so fun last year. We'll be thinking about you this year. I actually hope I make it this year with the new baby. I guess it's never to early to start.
Wow! Looks like such great places and adventures! I really want to come visit sometime! I'm so glad you guys are taking advantage of Dave's days off. You will be so glad you did. Anna is such a cutie pie.
Post a Comment