I think I blogged awhile ago about how I was getting ready for this roller coaster of a ride of life that we had coming up. Well, we're living the craziness right now and I am truly just trying to hold on. I hope this post doesn't sound like a long complaint, because I truly am supportive, and this is for Dave's future career and our family's future, but it's just the straight facts. Plus it doesn't help that I've had a crappy day and am just in a bad mood, so negativity seems to be oozing out of me at the moment. This is our life though and as with all of my posts, I want to journal about it.
Let's take a ride on the ins and outs of (the future) Dr. Kelly. So if you recall, Dave left in mid-October for NC. Between then and December 22nd (our anniversary, Happy 7th Baby!) he was home for a total of 9 days. Yes, at least we were together for a week over Thanksgiving on our trip. But still 9 days during the busiest (and fun) time of year. Here's where his adventures took him: 1 month in North Carolina, 1 day after we got home from Paris, he headed to LA to take part of the Step 2 medical boards, from LA he went to Richmond, Virginia to interview at VCU, and then he got home the night before Anna's birthday party. Just in time! Then he interviewed here at Utah (for the General Surgery program), Seattle, Cincinnati, Washington University (St. Louis), Northwestern (Chicago), and UC Davis. Most of these interviews are 2 days because they have a social the night before. And then at last he was home! We got to enjoy him (minus a few study days) for a whole week of Christmas fun! (Christmas post will come soon, Dave has the laptop with all of our pictures on it) And it all started up again on January 2nd when he left for Columbia, Missouri, then it was straight to Wisconsin. He got home in time to attend my lesson in Sunday School (only the 2nd one he's been able to come to!) and then he left on Tuesday to Rhode Island to interview at Brown. He's still there, but he leaves tomorrow to go to Ohio to interview at Case Western, and straight from there he goes to NYC for Mt. Siani. Then he's home for 2 days before he goes to WakeForest (NC), then straight to USC (LA) and back here to interview at Utah. Are you tired yet? He's home for a few days and then he goes to the OC to interview at UC Irvine and then he'll head to Vegas for an interview there too. It finally starts to slow down and he's deciding whether to cancel the 2 he has the following weekend in NYC at Columbia/Cornell and NYU. His last one is mid-February at Michigan State. Whew! That is a lot of interviews don't you think? (Yes, we have him enrolled in a frequent flier program, and yes, we have to pay for all of this travel!) We do feel lucky to have so many opportunities to interview. The more places he interviews, the better chance he has at matching somewhere. He actually had to turn down 8 programs because they like to interview on the same days as others, so they make you choose. Yes, so I recognize that this is a good problem to have, but whew! I'm tired and Dave's tired. I will be glad when this interviewing frenzy is over and I can go at least a month without driving to the airport. If you've seen me lately and you think I'm acting kind of crazy it's because I am. I seriously am. I am going to lose it soon I think. Anna is at hard stage for me right now. And I know all you veteran mothers will say, just wait for what's coming and wait until you have more kids, etc. I know, I know. But I am just feeling very challenged with her right now probably because she usually is pretty good. And I think I need to set up some sort of playgroup or Little Gym because she's so happy being with other kids and I think she gets sick of being stuck at home with me while I'm trying to work. Oh, and work. Yes, did I mention that I hate it? Thursday is technically supposed to be my day off, but instead, I have my daughter in front of Barney so that I can be on a conference call where my client is yelling, "Where the F- is my animated graphic!? Without this graphic everything else is SH-!" and so on. And for some reason my boss tells her that we're delivering it tomorrow which is nice of him since he hasn't done anything on this project and is cluesless and I have it scheduled with our vendor in LA to deliver on Tuesday. Nice. So you might be thinking this must be a really important cool graphic that is needed so desperately. Well, yes, it's very exciting. You see, it's an animated graphic that tries to explain the Extended Enterprise. It is being presented at a sales conference on Wednesday and then used by the Verizon Business sales force to try to convince people that they need to use Verizon Business to secure their enterprise. Wow. That is pretty darn exciting and important. I'm so glad that I got cussed out over that. This could save millions of lives after all, or maybe even cure cancer. Sorry, I told you I was in a bad mood. And I don't know how I even got on this tangent. Oh yes, I am going crazy. You see? now you have proof!
OK, now back to the subject of this post. Dave is interviewing all over the place for Residency next year and we sure hope he matches somewhere after all of this! I think he will, but he always cautions me that it's possible not to match, so I'll just be cautiously optimistic that he will match. But where? That is the question. I think that is also an underlying stress of mine because it's a weird feeling not knowing where you will be spending the next 5-7 years of your life. So, I have a poll in my side bar and you should vote on where you think we will go. The winner of the poll will receive the satisfaction of being right and all participants are invited to visit wherever we end up.
Sorry for the bad attitude. I'll try and be in a better mood tomorrow when I post my resolutions. And Dave if you're reading this on the road, I love you and good luck with your interviews! Sorry that you have a mental wife.
6 comments:
All of your bad mood and frustrations are truly justified. You handle everything with such grace, though, and I know you will be able to pull through this. The reward at the end of the day will be great and just keep your eyes on the prize! This too shall pass. (And other cliches I'm sure you don't want to hear right now.)
Tell Dave if he is still in Providence to go to Meeting Street Cafe and get a cookie. They are (no joke) 8 inches in diameter and layered with chocolate chips. It is an amazing cookie. I hope he matches there so we can visit you in Providence and have those cookies together.
Hang in there and we will talk soon!!!!
Hang on!!!
I know it will all be worth it. "He never said it would be easy, He only said it would be worth it." I keep this thought and a picture of Christ in Gethsemene near, when I feel overwhelmed. I know it seems churchy but for me it brings peace, knowing we have to go through the muck to enjoy the good stuff. Plus I just finished preparing my lesson for Sunday. So I am in the spiritual groove.
We love you and will keep you in our prayers!!!
love ashley
OH MY GOSH!! Who invaded Ashley's blog and posted this?! This is a side of you I have NEVER seen! (And I kind of like it.) Doesn't it just feel SO good to vent all your frustrations in an onery tone? Poor Ryan got that a lot from me when I was working full time as a slave.
I'm sorry for all the stress. I just hate it when life is way too much to bear. I'm sure this sounds cliche, but you are more than welcome to drop Anna off for a few hours when you need a sanity break. Gaylynne says they both do better together, so please take advantage of this.
If it's any consolation, Caroline went through a whiny/rough stage at about 13-16 months. It's not fun, but you're not alone.
Lastly, congrats and good luck to you and Dave. It's overwhelming, but isn't it exciting too?! I vote for Chicago . . . and that's a favorite of Dave's as well, right?
Wow. You guys sure do have a lot on your plate...and I don't blame you for venting, it sure does feel good.
You guys sure have a lot going on with Dave traveling, Anna being a busy little one yr. old, work, and not knowing where you are moving (staying here is a good idea too!:)
Hang in there...
And, I would also like to offer to take Anna as well, when you need a break, or just need to run some errands...anything. Wes & I are available, and I am also home while Wes is at school.
Good Luck Ash!!! (and Dave too!)
okay, so i officially have a huge pit in my tummy for YOU and selfishly, for ME next year. i'm dying right now as Sid is never home during this D*MN surgery rotation...what will it be next year and so on. i totally get what you're saying about people saying "get used to it"..."wait till' you have more kids". it's hard NOW too!
any tips or things you would have done differently? what kind of frequent flier thing did you do?
i'll email you since this is a novel!
good luck and hang in there. even if it isn't "going to get better!".
love, liz
Oh my, oh my! You'll be so glad you posted this. This is your life right now and to cope sometimes I think we easily forget. It will be so great to look back and see why you felt so overwhelmed and you will easily feel justified, I'm sure. It's always easy to remember feeling some way or the other and so easy to forget why. Then, you get down on yourself and wonder why you felt that way and you should have enjoyed it more, because you forget all the details. (I'm afraid I rarely make sense).
Anyway, that is a ton to handle right now! Your being a single working mom and that's not easy for anyone. I think it's even harder then actually being a single mother because you don't even get every other weekend off, to catch up on a few things, and you feel like you should be getting help because your not single. Do you agree??
Aren't you so glad that you realize there's a lot more to life then a graphic? Honestly, how sad it is for someone to get so upset about something like that. Too bad they don't really get it but, lucky for you that you do.
So we voted for Wakeforest but, to be honest we really do want you to stay here. Sorry to be selfish.
I don't think there's any need to apologize to Dave, mental or not I'm sure he realizes your the best wife he could ever have. You are so supportive and it will all payoff in the end.
As far as other mother telling you that it will get harder and there's more to come...I remember the stage that your in being one of my most difficult and I have a few more years under my belt now. Today hasn't been very good though. Your blog has been some great therapy. Ryan better get home to save the kids soon.
Post a Comment