Monday, January 28, 2008

Stand a little taller

Last night while I was giving Anna her bath, Dave was watching TV and I could hear the sound of his show faintly behind Anna's splashes. I heard the interruption of the breaking news intro and then I heard Dave say my name. For some reason I just had this feeling that I knew what it was. Maybe it was the way he said my name, I don't know, but I just had this sinking feeling and I actually did a big parent no-no and walked out of the bathroom and said, Please don't tell me it's President Hinckley. I had never been so disappointed to be right about something. (President Hinckley was the leader of our church, and prophet, for any non-LDS readers out there) After a big hug with Dave and rushing back into the bathroom to make sure Anna hadn't drowned in my neglect, I suddenly felt peace instead of sadness. I know how happy he must be to be with his sweet wife again. While driving to work today, I heard that song, "I can only imagine" and I got chills thinking of what great reunions President Hinckley is having right now. It's so sad for us to lose him, but so great for him to have accomplished so much in his life here on earth and to have a sweet reunion in heaven. I never met President Hinckley in person, but I feel like I know him. I loved hearing him talk on any occasion because he has a special gift to combine inspiration and humor in everything. He had more quick wit at 97, than I will ever have! He was genuinely a kind, happy person. And a humble, yet powerful teacher. I will miss his humble sweet words and smile, but I am so grateful for all of the good and service he gave during his life. He was truly a remarkable man and prophet. He has left a great legacy and accomplished so much as a prophet and in his life. I can never truly pay tribute to him with my random ramblings. There's too many emotions for my brain to grasp, but I know that I will have respect and love for this sweet man forever in my heart.

"Let us all try to stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better.
Make the extra effort. You will be happier."
- President Gordon B. Hinckley
So to try and honor him, I am going to try to stand a little taller and be a little better today, and hopefully every day after that.

3 comments:

Stina said...

What a nice post, and that picture that you posted is so sweet. How interesting that you had that intuition about him even before you heard the news. I loved reading your thoughts about it.

kara jayne said...

I love that last quote you put on. i need to remember that every day!

Sue said...

I loved reading your thoughts. I kept wondering... what was wrong with me for not starting to cry when I heard the news. All I could think about was his sweet reunion with his dear wife. I can also only imagine. Can you imagine being Pres. Hinckley, meeting your Lord knowing all that you did in your life to serve Him and His gospel. What a peaceful feeling that must be. It's also so comforting to know that our Heavenly Father was calling him home at this time because his work was finished here on earth. He has done so much for all of us and has spent so many years guiding us and serving us, I'm so happy for his time to rest and to reunite with his loved ones.