Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pet for A Day

Let me introduce you to Lemon Blueberry Plum. Our pet turtle. For a day. Isn't she the cutest smallest turtle you've ever seen? We found her yesterday right at the edge of our garage. I thought it was a rock at first. She's so tiny, about the size of a quarter. It's normal to see turtles around here, but I have never seen a little baby one! Anna was of course thrilled with our discovery. And quickly this turtle became our little pet. We didn't want her to get hurt in the garage, so we put her in our little bug cage with some leaves and a little bottle cap of water. Anna named her Lemon Blueberry Plum (she's really into Strawberry Shortcake right now). We watched her crawl around that cage all day. By the end of the day she was climbing in and out of her little bottle cap pool.





But much to our dismay, we knew we couldn't keep this little turtle in our bug cage forever. We have not the slightest idea how to take care of a baby turtle and didn't want to kill it. We offered it to some friends that already have pet turtles, but apparently baby turtles are hard work. So we knew what we had to do. After soccer practice and dinner, we took a walk down to the greenway in our neighborhood. And we let little Lemon free into her natural habitat.




There's a creek right there and we hope she made her way down to it okay. Anna sobbed and was so very sad. (so was I!) She promised Lemon that she would go back and visit her every day at the greenway.


And that's probably the only pet we'll ever have!


4 comments:

gaylynne said...

What a cute post! Anna will love reading about her pet turtle and its name. I had to laugh when I read the name. Every time you walk on the greenway now Anna will be thinking of little "Lemon". Cute story to remember.

Melissa S. said...

OH MY WORD!!!!!!!!! You're right! I have NEVER seen a smaller turtle!!!!!
Sooooooooooooo cute!

d feist said...

Cute little baby turtle! I cried when we left Boss in Utah, but also probably won't have another pet. Don't tell Dave, he thinks he's getting another dog someday.

Meesh said...

You and I are so similar! Had a Cat for three months and cried my eyes out when it didn't work out. We are not pet people. But my kids ARE. So hard!!!