Monday, July 7, 2008

Weekend at the Beach

Last weekend, Dave's last weekend of freedom, we decided to pack up and head for the coast. We've heard so much about the Carolina Beaches, we wanted to go check them out and have a fun weekend together before Dave officially started at the hospital. We headed to one of the closest beaches, Wilmington, which is only 3 hours away. It was seriously one of the greatest weekends we've ever had! It was so great to go on a little getaway amidst the craziness of moving.
And of course there were lots of pictures. We consider this advertising for you all to come visit the great state of North Carolina. So without further adieu...

PackingUp
Anna saw us carrying all of the bags, and insisted on carrying a few of her own. She's a good helper, just a little slow. (And by the way, we stayed at the Town Place Suites by Marriott. It was great! I highly recommend them next time you travel. Reasonable rates, nice new clean rooms with kitchens, free internet, and a yummy breakfast. Fab all around! That's my travel tip for the day)

Wilmington
Wilmington is one of the biggest coastal cities in NC. And, just for your Jeopardy knowledge bank, is also famous for being Michael Jordan's hometown. We had no idea what to expect but we sure loved this charming city! The first night we walked around the historic city along the boardwalk. It was a cute old town with a big party goin on. I kept saying that they should shoot movies here because it was so cute. I found out that they actually do! It's known as "East Hollywood" and they shoot tons of stuff in Wilmington, including Dawsons Creek and One Tree Hill for all you WB (or CW) fans out there, and my favorite, I know what you did last summer. Anyway, that was a tangent. We had a fun night strolling around and then dancing at the party with Anna.
Enjoying some delicious peach ice cream. Yum
Anna loves being with her daddy. When he's with us, she soaks up every minute with him that she can.

the beach!
The next day was beach day! We went to Wrightsville Beach after a quick stop at Wal-Mart for an umbrella and some chairs. Anna LOVED the beach! She was nonstop all day and she couldn't decide if she liked the sand or the water more. Hundreds of pictures later, here are some of my favorites.
As soon as she got in the water, she got the biggest smile on her face.
After a little bit of playing in the ocean, it was time for her to get busy. For some reason she thought it was her job to collect all of the sea shells of the shore and put them back into the water. She went back and forth for a good half hour.
Probably one of her smiliest days!
I think she looks like my brother Ryan in this picture.
And it wouldn't be a day at the beach without sampling some sand.
Going into the ocean with daddy.
Love this picture.
Our beach neighbor dug this big hole and Anna sort of took it over. Don't worry it wasn't a full on invasion, she was invited diplomatically. Anna loved it. The tide would come up and fill the hold and she would just sit in it and laugh and laugh.
We had to call it a day and Anna did not want to leave. Hopefully we can go back again soon!


Greenfield Park
That night we found this cool humongous park. It was so beautiful and unlike anything that we would ever have in Utah. Trees were growing right in the middle of the lake. Not on island, just on huge roots. It was so cool.

Can you tell she really wanted to hang out with her daddy this weekend?


We drove around a little more and found this cool bridge that went across the lake. We went to go check it out and this is what we found under us. Yes, that's an alligator, surrounded by tons of turtles.


Which is why I got nervous when Anna kept doing this...

Actually, she's feeding the turtles rice puffs. A cute couple shared some with her.
In Utah we go and feed the ducks. I guess in North Carolina you feed the turtles?


AQUARIUM
The next day we went to the aquarium before heading home. Anna loved seeing all the fishies and did her best guppie noises ever.

She was so excited and had the funniest expressions all day long. Sorry about the weird ghostly flash.

Shhhhh!
She's telling us that the alligator is sleeping.


I just loved her cute face in this one. I'm glad that's strong glass!

Cute as she is, sometimes she can be a real crab.

That was a glimpse into our weekend at the coast. We hope to visit a new part of the coast whenever we get the chance. And we hope at least some of you will be able to come with us!

Oh, and some people have asked to post a picture of our new house on the blog, but I feel weird about doing it. but I guess if you really want to see it, here it is...




We wish! This is only a wing of the Biltmore mansion in Asheville, NC. We went there with Dave's parents while they were visiting. It is the largest residence in the entire U.S. It really is quite unbelievable. Our home is not so big, but much more cozy. And maybe one day I'll post a few real pics.

7 comments:

Stina said...

Looks like an awesome getaway! I am amazed that in the midst of your crazy life you still planned a little trip for your family. We stayed at a Towne Place Suites in Minneapolis and loved it too!

The beach looks like so much fun. One day, when we're back east again, we'll join you!

Stacie said...

Hi Ash. I love these photos. what a fun trip. Anna at the beach is the cutest thing! Miss ya.

Heidi said...

Ash
That looks so fun! I love it back east, you guys are gonna have a blast! Anna is getting so big, when is she 2 again? She is adorable. It's good to sortof see ya. Talk to you soon. Hope all is well.
Heidi

naptime nostalgia said...

Cute, Cute, Cute! Love the beach pics. Looks like you guys are having a blast exploring NC!

Goodrich's said...

I swear, it hasn't been that long since I last checked your blog, but WOW, have I missed a ton! Looks like you have been SUPER busy moving, exploring, settling in... all that good stuff. Looks like your new digs are treating you well and that you're adjusting to life in North Carolina just fine. I guess I shouldn't wait so long between blog checks, you've got a lot going on! Take care!!!

Darcie said...

Glad you guys are doing well! The beach looks so fun. Little Anna already looks bigger... oh man!

Jill said...

Looks like you guys are living it up. So jealous you're so close to the ocean! Keep up the great pics, I love seeing what's going on in your life! Miss you!