Sunday, July 27, 2008

a visit from Grandma G


We are very lucky and have already had both Grandma's out here to see us! GrandMary came out to help us move, and Grandma G came out last week for my birthday. I am so glad my mom has flight benefits! (too bad I don't get to use them!)

It was so fun to have my mom out to visit. It was good timing because it was during a busy week for Dave and it was my birthday, so I had someone to celebrate with! Anna was so excited when she saw Grandma G at the airport. My mom was worried that Anna wouldn't remember her. Please! Anna was practically jumping out of her car seat.


My mom was a huge help while she was out here. I was in the middle of painting the playroom and she helped me paint and do the finishing touches. It would have taken me 5x as long to do by myself. I am so grateful for her help! Not a very fun thing to do while you're on vacation! It was also nice to have an extra set of hands to help with Anna. I think with excitement of Grandma being here, she was particularly feisty at times, so the loves from Grandma were a huge help! Plus it was nice having some extra company while Dave had some late nights at the hospital.


We were excited to show Grandma our house and our new town. We didn't do anything much eventful besides roam around town and hang out together. Since my mom is usually the one behind the camera, there aren't a lot pictures with her in it, but I promise she was here!


We went on a walk on the "greenway" in our neighborhood. It's a private path surrounded by big fields and bird houses. I love it when it's not humid. Anna of course wanted to try and pull the wagon instead of ride in it.

Anna had a lot of fun playing on the swings with Grandma. I think this picture is so funny. She looks like one of those old fashioned posed portraits. I think this must have been the only moment that she wasn't giggling hysterically. It's probably because she saw the camera. Anna hates pictures.

We went to Old Salem on one of the days during Grandma's visit. It's a cute, historic part of town that dates back to the 1770's when the Moravians established this area. It's kind of like a mini Williamsburg where people are dressed up as tradesmen and making horseshoes, doing printing presses, etc. Too mature for Anna, but look! She's in the stroller!


Since Anna was so good, we went to the Old Salem bakery for some treats. We got some of the famous ginger cookies (they are yummy!) and Anna ate a whole Pumpkin muffin before we done paying.


Anna especially loved how Grandma would let her carry around her travel bag and camera bag. Anna's always been a bag lady.



On my birthday we ran some errands and went to lunch and finished up the playroom. The perfect present! Then that evening, we went to Reynolda Village which once housed the support staff for JR Reynolds' estate. (the great tobacco king) It's a cute charming shopping area now and it also has a very beautiful garden that is maintained by the University. Dave was able to leave the hospital at 6:30 to meet us there! We walked around the garden and enjoyed seeing all of the beautiful plants that can flourish here that would never survive in my old dry climate.

Anna even spotted Bunny Foo-Foo!

After our garden stroll, we went to dinner at the Village Tavern in Reynolda Village. Anna loves to eat the lemons that we get in our waters!



At home I got to make a wish on a birthday cake. It was a great day and I'm so glad I got to share it with Anna, Dave, and my mom. It's safe to say that this birthday was much better than last years! (Our house flooded last year on my bday)

The next day I felt adventurous so we decided to try out the zoo. It's not in Winston-Salem, it's in a town called Asheboro and is supposedly one of the largest zoo's in the country. Now, largest does not mean they have the most or best animals. It means it's HUGE! and therefore everything is a mile away from each other! It took about 5-10 minutes to get from one animal to the next. That does not work for a 19-month old! Especially when it is boiling hot outside and you're pulling a wagon up and down hills. They seriously should shuttle you from animal to animal. Sure there's beautiful vegetation around, but we're not there to see plants! We're there to see the animals!

We saw the Polar Bears in the North American region, then we took a shuttle to "Africa" to see Anna's favorite monkeys. After a few animals in between, we had had it! I don't think I will ever go back to that zoo for the remaining six years we are here. Boo to that zoo!

good thing we got ourselves some oreo frosties to cool down for the trip home!

We loved having Grandma G here and it was hard to see her go. She was such a huge help and Anna loved being able to hang out with her again. Hopefully we didn't bore her or wear her out so that it won't be too long before she makes another visit!

We love any visitors, so book your tickets! I promise I won't take you to the zoo!

4 comments:

Stina said...

Happy Birthday! I can't believe it's been a year since "the flood"! Look how much has changed in just one year, wow. Your visit with your mom looks like a perfect blend of relaxation and activity. Your greenway sounds so nice!

Darcie said...

Anna looks so grown-up! I really can't believe it.

Jill said...

Glad you're loving it out there and taking advantage of living in a new place. And props to you for mowing the lawn, but I really think Dave was serious about you chopping off a finger or something, he probably saw that picture of you in Hawaii on a scooter, when you took out the bush!

kara jayne said...

Several thoughts.

As you get older, birthdays are always better with Mom around. she is the ONE person who really will do anything for you...and LOVE IT!

My first child also HATES pictures.

My first child also LOVED eating lemons from our water. We got a lot of crap from all our DENTAL friends for that one.

I'm so glad you had a great birthday...you totally deserve it!