Yes. I. did. And some of you ladies may say, so what? I do that all the time. no big deal. But I grew up with 4 older brothers and so I never had to do that chore. And come to think of it, it doesn't seem like that bugged them. I have nice brothers. Anyway, I've never mowed a lawn before. Last week Dave was saying how he doesn't know how he's going to have time to mow the lawn and so we better hire someone to do it. uh-uh! I am not going to use the little extra money that we have to pay someone to do something that I am completely capable of doing. I need to save that little stash to help pay for Anna's dance lessons, soccer, or who knows what someday! I will not stand by and let that happen.
So I said I would do it. And do you know what he said? He said, "You can't mow the lawn!" Are you kidding me? I got so mad. Of course I could. And then he said he meant that he didn't want me to mow the lawn because I might chop off my finger. First of all, I'm not an idiot. Second of all, nice cover Dave, but I'm not buyin it.
I was set to prove him wrong and we've had a busy week so far, and today was the day. I had to wait until Anna was napping and I dreaded the muggy heat, but I went out and started the engine up and got mowing. It actually was a nice temperature outside. I was trying to decide which pattern to do. Diagonal, horizontal, or vertical? I've always admired the pretty lines in others lawns. But once I got started I threw all of that out the window. I just wanted to get this over with ASAP. And then it started to drizzle. It felt nice. And then it started to pour. I was NOT going to let the rain interfere with my lawn mowing! So I hurried and finished the front yard as fast as I could. Luckily once it really started coming down, I was under a big tree. Which was good for keeping me dry, but probably not the safest in a thunderstorm. But rain and all, the lawn got mowed. Probably not as good as Dave does it, but I'm a rookie.
I mowed the lawn. July 31st 2008.
Now maybe tomorrow I'll do the backyard...
11 comments:
Congrats Ashley! I think you'll find you really like this chore as the weeks go on... it sure beats scrubbing bathrooms and mopping kitchen floors. I loved mowing the lawn after my brother left on his mission; my mom was really confused by that :).
Ashley, i just read this outloud post to Ryan (in a very good narration voice I might add), and he had a good laugh. (and I had a good laugh all over again).
way to go! I think I have maybe done it once-that was before I was married though. It is fun to see what you guys have been up to! looks like lots of fun things going on!
Good job! I haven't mowed the lawn since high school, but I do remember feeling a sense of accomplishment after finishing. Since I hate being outdoors so much I think I felt more proud of myself than I should have been. Way to go!
haha! loved this post :)
Chris has taught me well: I mow, he edges. When the edging doesn't need to be done he'll mow. I wish we did more laundry sharing....
I love this post, it made me laugh. I mowed the lawn a lot in high school but not since then and I kind-of miss it. Mowing the lawn is more fun than other chores for sure.
So funny!! You'd think since I was the 6th child with 3 older brothers that I never mowed the lawn, but I did...and I liked it! I'm proud of you.
This has to be my favorite story. I had a smile on my face the whole time reading it. I can totally picture the entire conversation! It makes me laugh! Way to go! I'm super proud of you for so many different reasons! Did you get a picture of it?
I'm proud of you! I did the same recently because Sid said I couldn't. I didn't do a good job, but practice makes perfect! I guess I better get good at it, because let be honest...he won't be home much soon!
Hope you're surviving! Love, liz
Ash, I am so proud of you too! especially in the rain. I haven't mowed a lawn in years either. Actually I think since junior high. I loved this post. Hey thanks for the phone call last week. can't wait to talk. love ya
I'm so proud of you! I actually love to mow the lawn. However, Ryan has never allowed me to mow the lawn either. I use to do it all the time growing up. There's just a few thing that he considers his job. I feel bad though because it seems like our husbands never have enough time to fit it in. When Ryan is home the last thing I want him doing is spending more time away from us mowing the lawn. I've suggested multiple times to hire someone to do it weekly. It's actually pretty cheap. He wont allow it. He says he wont pay for something he can do himself. He also doesn't want our boys to see someone else doing it. He says he'll do it until the boys are old enough to take over. I actually agree with him. I think it's a great way to teach the value of work.
At the beginning of the summer there was a couple weeks that Ryan couldn't find anytime to mow the lawn. I was starting to get irritated and decided to mow it myself too. To say the least, he wasn't too happy that his pregnant wife was out mowing the lawn. He kept asking me who had seen me doing it. I think I'll leave it up to him from now on.
Post a Comment