Tuesday, August 21, 2007
A night in the ER
Just when I was ready to have a good nights sleep after all of the reunion business, I spent all of Sunday night/Monday morning in the ER! Around midnight I had the most painful feeling in the right side of my stomach. It didn't go away after a few minutes so I woke up Dave for a midnight doctor appt. He checked things out and felt around all my organs in the area while the pain got worse and worse. And then of course Anna wakes up! I get her back to sleep as I am crying in pain while Dave is thinking about his diagnosis. "It's either your appendix or your ovaries" I started to feel nauseated and after about an hour my personal doctor advised me that we should go to the ER. We packed up our sleeping baby and headed to the hospital. At first they just thought that I was pregnant even when I assured them I was not. After ruling that out, they took my blood to run some tests and gave me some morphine. (which didn't do much) Anna, who did not fall back asleep after she woke up to go in her car seat, found the hospital fascinating! She would not fall back asleep with so much to look at. Around 3:00 am they told us it wasn't my appendix and it was probably my ovaries so I would need an ultrasound. TWO HOURS later they came to get me for my ultrasound! Dave and Anna did not fare so well during these 2 hours of waiting. Anna was tired beyond control and Dave only had a folding chair to sit/nap in. They were troopers for coming along with me. The ultrasound made me a little nervous because she had to do 2 different kinds and then she wouldn't tell me anything because she said the doctor would come in and tell me what's going on. It turns out that I had an ovarian cyst rupture. Not a huge deal, just really painful. I guess when it ruptures the blood and fluid get into your abdominal cavity and that is what causes all of the pain. No surgery needed at least! They loaded me up with pain pills and sent me home around 6:00 am. We were a tired bunch, so we headed home to get some much needed rest. My mom was nice to come get Anna and watch her for us in the afternoon so we could finish resting. I've got lots of pain pills, but it really feels fine now. Kind of a random thing. It was nice to have Dave there knowing what to do and explaining to me what will probably happen next. I think he liked being able to diagnose me but the bad thing about having a husband in medicine is that you don't get much sympathy. They know you're going to be okay so it's just a matter of getting through it. Just a few worried looks would have been nice. :) I'm going to try hard not to rupture any more cysts for awhile though. It wasn't much fun and I'm ready to get back to "normal!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I totally understand the non-sympathetic husband thing!! I'm not sure what it would take around here for me to get a sincere "are you okay"! Oh well, that's what I get for never asking for help, and taking care of everything myself...even when I'm totally sick! You'll get really good at it during residency....you have no choice! Unless you sitck around Utah where you have some family help that is!
Thats terrible Ash! My friend had that exact thing happen to her yesterday. 'Tis the season to rupture a cyst I guess??!! Feel better.
Stace
Man, first the flood and now this. Talk about bad luck. We need to find you a four leaf clover and fast! Glad you're okay.
I hope you are feeling better! I'm so sorry that happened. Women's bodies are so complicated! I'm glad it wasn't anything serious. I know that dosen't make it any less painful. I think one of the hardest things about being a mommy is that when something like this happens, you still have to be mommy. Do we ever catch a break? I'm so like you, I would totally haul Ryan and the kids to the E.R. before I would call someone. This brought back the memory of Ryan taking me to the E.R. when Romey was a week old. Of course, we both didn't want Romey around all those crazy sick people, so Ryan watched me through the window with Romey safley bundled up in her car seat. It was a kidney stone for me. Hands down, they are worse then labor. It was easy to compare since I had just been through it a week earlier. Where was the epideral?
More importantly Ash, it would be my pleasure to receive a phone call from you, even in the middle of the night, to come take care of Anna. You need to take advantage of the time you're around family. Your time might be ticking, and if I know you, I don't think you'll be to hip on leaving her with anyone else. I know you might feel like I'm far, but I would totally drive up there for you and then bring Anna back. I promise, people love to help! Plus, more then likley, I wasn't sleeping anyway. Please remember I'm around.
Ash-
I hope you got our message, and I hope you are feeling better. Sorry about the unfortuante cyst rupture! Let us know if you need anything.
I'm sorry I didn't see this post until after lunch today -- sorry to make you talk all about it when I could have just read this post! I'm so glad that you are okay now.
Ash, I am so sorry to hear about the cyst. I know from work that some people are in so much pain from cysts rupturing that they want to die!! Good thing you have such a great mom to come help with Anna.
Post a Comment