Friday, July 6, 2007

Star Spangled Day

Oh, the 4th of July! It's one of my favorite holidays! Not for any one particular reason, but for many small reasons. First of all, I'm very patriotic. I always have been. I usually can't make it through the national anthem without getting a little choked up. (yes, even at baseball games) I think it's because my parents did such a great job at teaching me about our country's history and how a lot of people sacrificed and worked so hard to establish this great country and our freedom. I'll never forget the trip to D.C. that just my mom and I went on in the summer after 5th grade. It was perfect timing because I had just finished studying US History in school. It was so incredible to me as an 11 year old to see history come alive in the historic places we visited. I hope to start this tradition with our children. Plus my brother and his family live in DC so we have a good reason to visit! OK, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent, back to why I love the 4th...

I just love the simple laziness and fun of the day. Everyone is so relaxed on the 4th. It's not like other holidays when everyone is frenzied trying to get presents wrapped or costumes ready and so on. (although I do love all holidays anyway) People just seem to be friendlier and happier on the 4th. I love sunny days and the 4th is almost always sunny. Kids run around the neighborhood and are so excited with the anticipation of fireworks. There's usually good food and friends and family and those are all my favorite things in life!

I was a little sad this 4th though because I realized that it might be our last one in this neighborhood. Our neighborhood is so fun. It's a tradition (16 years I think) to have a neighborhood parade followed by a potluck picnic. There's one street in our neighborhood that loops and there's lots of huge trees for shade, so it's the perfect setting. All the kids get so excited to decorate their bikes and wagons. I forgot to decorate Anna's stroller, so I just added some flags to it before we left. We took some pictures before we left, and I took my camera, but being the airhead I am, I didn't take any pictures at the actual event. Oh well. I didn't stay long because I felt guilty leaving Dave sick at home. Yes, he was sick on the 4th. He couldn't even talk actually. I felt so bad for him. Poor guy. He just started his first week of 4th year too, so it's bad timing. The good news is that he is getting better and he can actually talk today.
I felt so guilty about leaving him for the parade, that I left him again that afternoon and took Anna swimming with my family. My brother Morgan and his family are in town and it was so fun to see them and their cute boys! That night Dave rested while Anna and I watched the Boston Pops on TV. Then at the last minute, we decided to walk to 21st and watch the Sugarhouse fireworks since they were so close. I thought they might frighten Anna, but she loved them! After a fun filled day for me and Anna, and a not so fun filled day for Dave, we headed home and went to bed. And that sums up our simple, but fun Independence day celebrations.

4 comments:

Darcie said...

oh, so much more fun that working all day! Sorry Dave is sick :(. The pic of Anna is darling!

kara jayne said...

The picture is precious! I miss the 4th of July in Utah more than almost anything. The parade, breakfast, and carnival at Evergreen Park are classic....some of my favorite memories.

Stina said...

Sounds like a nice day! You both look so cute in your pictures. I hope Dave is feeling better!

Brad, Tracee and Brooks said...

That picture of Anna is adorable! I LOVE the 4th too! That neighborhood parade sounds like a blast-sounds like you will just have to start it up in your next neighborhood!