Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Now this is what I pictured

Saturday was just one of those days. One of those days that I pictured before I had kids. What my life would be like when I had kids. The day dreamy unrealistic kind. Little did I know that these days are actually far and few between, but they do really happen occasionally. And it's so fun and all worth it when they do.


We didn't go to Disneyland or have a big party. It was just us and a sunny day.


We went to an Easter Egg Hunt in the morning. Anna was excited for candy and I was happy to see some friends too. Dave was able to get some studying done while we hunted. Poor guy has to take yet another test next month. How many boards can there possibly be? But while he studied, Anna had her first real go at the egg hunt. Anna needed to fuel up with a granola bar before the race started so she could have energy and endurance to make it through the hunt. She was so thrilled when she found her first egg, she just had to stop and see what was inside before she went on. Jelly Beans! Well, she might as well eat them now that she's opened the egg. And so it went. She only found a handful of eggs by the time she finished, but she was so pleased with herself.



Then it was home and time for some conference. I love conference weekend. Now, it's a little (well, a LOT) harder to pay attention when you have a two year old running around, but lucky for me, someone gave out play dough in some of the eggs, so Anna was entertained for awhile during the first session. I really love conference. It's just the jumpstart I need to get my life in check twice a year. (I should really check in with myself more than twice a year though)


In between sessions, we went to one of my favorite parks for a Kite Festival. Oh man, was Anna excited about kites. And the weather was heavenly.






I adore stuff like this. Anytime someone decides to make a festival about something simple and enjoyable, I'll be there. We don't have a kite, but there was a nice old man with a bunch in the back of his truck for people to borrow. Southern hospitality for ya. Anna wanted to hold that string so bad and she mostly ran around in circles for awhile, but eventually she got it and up her kite went. We lounged on the grass for awhile and watched the other kites and enjoyed the sunshine.



And miraculously Anna fell asleep on the way home. Her first nap in about a month. Hallelujah!


A nice day. A fun day to be together. And it didn't cost us a dime. I need more days like this.


Although of course it wasn't completely perfect. There were many tantrums scattered throughout the day and we had to carry Anna out of the park kicking and screaming. But I don't think I'll remember those parts of this day. That happens every day anyway. That's why it's nice to get a day like this when things are just, well, as they should be I guess. Two year olds throw tantrums, kites fly in the sky, and eggs are waiting to be discovered. Now that is how I pictured parenthood.

5 comments:

gaylynne said...

Ashley, I'm glad you are enjoying the ride of parenthood! The joys of parenthood certainly outweigh the sighs and it is important to stop and relish the simple joys as you continue on your journey. Darling Anna adds so much spice to your life as well as to our lives. I loved reading about your fun day.

Stina said...

I love your comment about thinking what life was going to be like with kids, before you had kids. Boy, what a reality shock it's been for me! But I love that you had a "perfect" day because they do exist and you are so good to embrace and enjoy it fully.

You look great and Anna is super cute as usual!

morgan and ashley boyack said...

Awesome...The picture of Anna running with the yellow kite is so cute...Easter picture for sure!!

Mary and Colin said...

Ashley, I loved this post. this is what it is all about. Enjoying the journey as you go and not expecting perfection but just enjoying each other and the wonderful sunshine and yellow kite and the jelly beans! Your little Anna Banana will marry someday and be off to who knows where. You will miss her big smile and her enthusiasm for life! And you will have these memories to make you so happy and glad. You and David are so blessed. And Anna is so lucky to have you guys as her parents. God bless you always. Love Mary

Katy said...

Ashley, she is getting so big and darling as always! We need to get planning our trip.