
I am proud to be an American. Every day. I have never been ashamed to be a part of this wonderful country. But I am especially proud when millions of Americans come together in support of something. I couldn't help get chills today watching the inauguration. The capitol looked so beautiful decked out in the stars and stripes and I loved the energy, the patriotic music and words spoken. I love the tradition of it all, too. Even though I don't agree with some of Obama's views, once someone is President, I respect them and really hope they succeed. They have a tough job. And any time one man can inspire so many people, that's good too.

I tried to watch the coverage as much as possible today in between Anna's pleads for Curious George. Wanting to discuss this important event and have an adult conversation, I explained to my 2-year old that this is a very important day, one that she'll read about in school one day. The first African-American was just sworn in as President, when only decades ago, an African-American couldn't ride a bus, or eat lunch. And we are so lucky to live in this country of democracy and freedom. And she stared at me, and said, "George!" But she wasn't talking about Washington. So I remembered that she was 2 and told her there would be a parade on TV soon. And then she liked, "Presen Omama" as she calls him.
Get your own, here.
So Good Luck President Obama! We hope with you.
3 comments:
Great post Ashley. I feel the same way... I didn't vote for him, but I'm pretty excited now about the whole thing. Good for you for teaching Anna about it... Caroline has absolutely no clue what went on. Love Anna as Obama... he's cute but Anna's cuter!
(PS: thanks for your comment on my "kindness" post. I was a little embarrassed later it was so long and I felt a little on a soapbox, but oh well, I wasn't going to delete it later :) ).
Hey, glad the pacifier problem is hopefully behind you! It is amazing what these kids come up with and how funny they are when we are trying to "trick" them. I always find Lily's pacifiers in the most random places...I am sure I will have the same problem as you someday! :) We miss you guys!
I tried to make Theo pay attention too but he was more interested in babbling to the sunlight on the wall. Oh well, at least we can say we tried!
Post a Comment