Sunday, September 30, 2007

favorite things

Raindrops on roses, and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things!



Sorry, I just had to. I love the Sound of Music.

Here are a few of Anna's favorites lately...


1. UNPACKING and pulling out anything and everything she can get her hands on. She empties it, I fill it back up and then the game starts over. I started keeping some type of basket or box for her in almost every room of the house now hoping that she'll get into that first instead of...hmmm...say daddy's expensive text books that she loves ripping pages out of!


2. TORTILLAS. It's no wonder she loves them because Dave and I both are partial to Mexican food, but this girl LOVES to eat tortillas.

3. STANDING. She wants to pull herself up and stand and pretend to be big all day long.


4. BA! Her favorite word is "Ba" and "Bob". And sometimes "ra-ra". She will "ba" about everything all day long. She thinks we're having a conversation and it cracks me up. This one is going to be a chatterbox I have a feeling!

5. BATHS! She has always loved bath time, but now it is getting out of control. I think I need to start wearing my wellies and poncho when I give her baths from now on. She loves to splish-splash and is so sad to get out of the tubby. She does not however, like to get water in her eyes. So I bought one of those ridiculous visors that I thought only overzealous parents who buy everything from One Step Ahead would buy. Well, it works and it saves some tears, literally. And she looks hilarious in it.



6. READING books! (or at least pretending to) She loves to hold them and flip the pages and sometimes she'll just stare intently at the pages. Her favorite books to look at? The $1 ones I got at the Target Dollar Spot. Love that place!


7. NO RIBBONS! She loves to find the bows I slyly put on her head and pull them out and try to eat them. It's so sad because she looks so good in bows. :) And I just started getting into making them.

8. LEAPFROG. She loves her Leapfrog activity table. My aunt gave this to me as a shower gift and I've been antsy to get this out, but couldn't until our downstairs was back. It was the best surprise for her when we set it up. I really like the leapfrog stuff. She pulls and pushes every knob and doo-dad and dances to the music.


9. AVOIDING NAPS. She tries her hardest every day to NOT fall asleep. Sometimes she succeeds and sometimes mommy wins. She's a pretty good night sleeper, but doesn't like to sleep in the day. Does anyone have a nap secret?

10. EXPLORING. She is everywhere these days. I love how exciting everything is to her. Isn't that the cutest ruffle-bum ever?


11. RAIN. With all of the rain lately, it's been hard to avoid her getting wet here and there. Well, it's a good thing I guess, because she thinks those drops are pretty hilarious. I can't wait for the day we can jump in a puddle together.

12. KIDS. She LOVES being with and watching other kids. She thinks they are so funny. I think she would like church more if she could hang out in Nursery the whole time. Here she is with some of her favorite kids, her cousins. As you can see, Crew and Titan are quite taken with her too. It's so cute how much Romey and the boys love her.

13. TEETH. OK. Probably not her favorite, but I just want to document that she has 3 more new teeth! She has her front two and one more on the bottom. 5 total now. I'm going to miss that toothless smile.

Those are a few of Anna's favorite things these days. As for me, here's what's topping my favorites list lately:

  1. Zip-loc bags. I put everything in them these days. Whoever invented these things is my favorite. I am considering getting rid of my diaper bag and just getting one big zip-loc bag and fill it with lots of little zip-loc filled bags. Then I could always find what I am looking for. I just need to get one with handles...

  2. Cinnamon Buns ice cream. Ben and Jerry, why do you do this to me? This is the most delicious ice cream ever (if you like cinnamon rolls, which I do) Caramel ice cream + cinnamon bun dough + cinnamon streusel swirls = HEAVEN. I took one bite and I was seriously scared to take another. This stuff could be dangerous. So be careful with it. I don't need any more "buns" than I already have that's for sure.

  3. Friends. I am so glad I have such good friends. And I'm glad to know that they'd be there for me whenever I need them.

  4. Fall colors and smells. What's not to love?

  5. Fleece. I just want to wear my fleece hoodie all day, every day. Is that okay?

Now I just want to snuggle up with my favorite things and people and watch Sound of Music.

What are some of your favorite things? (Not of all-time, just in this moment-in-time)

11 comments:

morgan and ashley boyack said...

hey ashley
Anna is so big. I loved seeing her in your pictures. She is such a good mix of you and dave. I must say I can see a lot of you in her these days. Good luck with naps. I have never been great at forcing my kids to nap. However, I did let brigham scream for 7 hours in his crib once.(he never fell asleep!) I decided I would never do it again. Especially when I tried to give him a nap the next day and he screamed for 4 hours before I said, I am done. Every child is so different. Matthew on the other hand, I let cry and he fell asleep after 45 minutes of crying. So not to bad. You will know what to do. If you can stand it you can try letting her cry it out. Or you can take the Brigham approach and I just ended up taking a drive everyday and sure enough he would fall asleep in ten minutes. It beat the hours of listening to him cry.
I am sure there are better ways, I was always the worst with naps!!
Good luck! We will hopefully see you when we come in town on the 17th of October.
love,ashley

Stina said...

Wonderful post! Anna is such a beauty and I laughed out loud at the pictures of her in her bathtime visor. So cute! I am glad you are obsessed with zip lock bags too b/c lately I feel like everything I carry around is in one. I think part of it is that I feel whatever I put inside, once it is ziplocked in, it will be safe from germs. I don't know how true that is, but I feel like wrapping up everything in those bags these days! (OK I swear I'm not crazy.)

naptime nostalgia said...

As soon as you invent the ziplock purse I will be the first to purchase. Soooo funny, yet soooo true. Love you Ash!

Brad, Tracee and Brooks said...

Ashley! I am SO happy you invited me to read your blog! I MISSED seeing what was going on with your darling family and with cute little Anna-she is SO cute, I can hardly stand it. She just has the cutest little face! I LOVED reading about your favorite things! I agree about the ziploc purse! I want one! I probably go through 20 a day! Also, I am going to find that ice cream-yum! Anyway, thanks again for finding me because I love your blog! Also-we are HUGE Sound of Music fans-we went on the tour in Austria-my favorite!

Love ya,
Tracee
P.S. I am glad you are okay from your ER visit-that post made me a little nervous!

Sue said...

It was so fun to read all of Anna and your favorites. You need to hook up with my little sis who always carries a ziplock baggie full of anything you would ever need. I love when I'm with her because she always has the band-aid,tweezers, or lotion that you don't have. I have to be honest, I was a little excited about my kids making it onto your blog. It's true that they absolutley adore Anna. SHe is like a long lost sister for them. I wish they liked each other as much as they love Anna.

*Leslie* said...

What a fun post. Anna is really so cute and her personality seems so sweet. I love hearing her latest loves and your too. Lately I have been obsessed with mint chocolate ice cream, I have a bowl every night, which isn't a great idea...You could make good money if you figured out a way to make the ziploc diaper bag work - seriously, I'd buy it!!!

tyandmichellecall said...

I totally agree on the Ben and Jerry's cinnamon buns ice cream. One of my friends brought it to me when I was pregnant and I was in heaven. I was careful to eat a little and then put it right back... I always eat straight out of the Ben and Jerry's. Putting it in a bowl ruins it, I feel. It just tastes better right out of the carton. So I guess that means I don't have to share, too!

Darbee said...

We are complete icecream addicts at our house...though I haven't yet tried the cinnamon roll one, so thanks for the recommendation! Have you tried it with a little milk on top? That's a favorite at our house...it makes it a little icy on top! YUMMY!!! Glad you guys are doing good.

lbb said...

i can't wait to try that B&J's...i love the oatmeal cookie flavor!
when we go on a trip, almost everything in my suitcase has its own ziplock...love those things...
naps are hard at this age...jack has 2 (maybe 3), but he usually cries himself to sleep. i'm mean, but it works!

Rebecca said...

Anna is getting so big! She seriously melts my heart in all of her pictures... what cutie! Anyway, dido on the ziploc bags...use 'em for everything. Thanks for sharing your favorite things.

Chelsea said...

So glad we can see your blog...Ive had the link for awhile thinking I would give you a call to view it...but of course, that never happened! She is SO cute! Are you guys maybe thinking of moving? Is it just for his residency? UTHSCSA all the way!!! Just Kiddin, I dont know anything about where we are going!