I've been purposing avoiding all blogs lately because I seem to get sucked in to the many blogs out there and then the time that I complain about never having is gone. I'll try to do better now that things are starting to settle down a little more. I must admit that I've had numerous blog posts about silly ramblings composed in my head, but I never got around to actually posting any of them. Well there is one that I just can't get out of my head. It actually goes back to a relief society (our women's group) lesson in church 2 weeks ago. The lesson was on gratitude. Our teacher talked about not only having gratitude for the kind deeds and blessings in our lives, but also for the trials. Being grateful for a trial is a little harder than writing a thank you note to a neighbor for a delicious dinner. Our teacher shared her secret "slogan" for her life that applies to this idea...
Embrace the benefits!
Maybe its because the teacher is so sweet and cute or maybe its because I can identify with her so much (her husband just finished orthopedic surgery residency), but I just really loved her outlook on this. (For example, Her bed ridden mother-in-law who was suffering from cancer told her that she was lucky that she gets to take a nap every day) She's had a tough time in some areas of her life and she just made me realize and reminded me that life is more about how we look at things and what we learn from what happens to us instead of what actually happens to us. (does that make sense?) Anyway, I really am going to try to "embrace the benefits" of my life more often. With everything that's happened this summer, I think I need to do a benefit audit to get myself in the right frame of mind. (Sorry if this is boring to read. It's for me, not you, so go ahead and skip to the next blog if you want.) For instance, the flood: our house is ALMOST back to normal! we got new a new paint job in our downstairs and changed the color of our study while we were at it, we have newly shined hardwood floors upstairs, while everything was out of our basement we re-organized some things so we'll be more ready when we move next year, I had a good excuse not to cook for almost 2 months! I've learned how to deal with contractors and lazy workers, and I am even more grateful for our home now. And my little soiree in the ER made me realize how grateful I am for my health. And I did get to miss work the next day to sleep all day. That was nice! Not sure what the benefit is from my speeding ticket last week...(might need some help on this one)maybe my $82 will go towards help building nicer roads? I'll be more a more cautious driver? (even though I got tricked. I hate it when they catch you at the bottom of a hill. Come on! 9th south? I have to go easy on my breaks - our car is old!) The benefits of the reunion madness was that we got to see some fun old friends and we got a few free bagels from Einsteins! The time and effort for Dave's residency applications will hopefully bring us a benefit of a good match next spring. Although it was time consuming, it was kinda fun to review all of his accomplishments as we wrote his personal statement and application. I am always amazed how hard he works and the things he is able to do. I hope everything works out and that he matches to a good program. He deserves it! Okay, now I am digressing. I truly have so many "benefits" in my life. I love our little family. I hope to embrace the many benefits of life that are in our future because I know there will be many more to come!
5 comments:
Wonderful blog Ashley! Sweet just like you always are! Attitude makes such a big difference in our lives. I love the lesson you shared with us above embracing the benefits. It is great that you looked back over your crazy summer and learned from each experience. Hopefully, we all can try to do the same.
Ash, your mom is right. I loved your blog too. It seems like you have a talent for looking at the bright side of things and you always have! It is so refreshing and I wish I could be more like that. If the rest of the world could have that attitude it would be a much happier place to live in.
what a great reminder, ashley. thanks!
could we get together soon!? i will email you.
we need advice on the year ahead...applications, etc.
you guys are the pros!
also, i'd love to meet anna!
liz b.
I completely agree with this attitude and you are totally right that we should be grateful for the trials in our life as well as the good things! The truth is that life isn't easy but it is all in how you approach it that makes a difference. "Everything happens for a reason" as they say!
Ashley, I am SO sad we don't live by each other. We have such similar experiences, and I've always liked to think we are a lot alike. You are going to make it whatever happens in your life because of the great person you are and the good attitude you have. I'm getting excited for you guys to see where you will be next year. You just have to tell yourself that wherever you match is the best place for you. Paul was NOT happy when he matched in Wisconsin, but we now comment all the time about how perfect it was for us. Your the best!!
Post a Comment