Thursday, May 3, 2007

High School Never Ends

So, 11 years ago when Dave was considering running for senior class president, being the supportive girlfriend that I was, I tried to discourage him, reminding him that the sr. class prez is in charge of planning the reunions for the rest of their lives. If I had known then that I would go from the supportive girlfriend to the supportive wife, I would have definitely put my foot down on this one. Now I am the wife by his side and guess what is coming up this summer? His 10 year reunion! And guess who's planning it? :) So, I need your help! This is quite a bigger challenge than one might think. Where to have it? How many people will come? How much to charge? What happened to the reunion committee? and on and on. Let me give you the scoop on what we have in the works so far and I would really love of it if any of you could give your thoughts or any ideas of your reunions or anything you can come up with!

Since so many of us have kids now, we thought it might be fun to have a little picnic get together in the afternoon at Sugarhouse Park. We will only provide cookies and drinks and so everyone can bring their own lunches if they want to eat. That way, people can casually socialize and see each others cute kiddies. Charge would be $10 per person - kids are free. (cost is to cover refreshments and cost of rental)

That evening we are thinking of renting a ballroom at the Gallivan Center Marriott or Little America and having a dinner for the adults only. We would do some sort of a package deal if people come to both. Now, here's the problem: If we did this, we would have to charge about $50 per person or so to cover all of the costs involved. (rental, dinner, taxes, bartender, etc.) I'm afraid if we charge that much, less people will want to come because for 2 people it would be $100. And if we reserve it and less than 200 people show, we get stuck with the cost. (yikes!) We've called to a few places at the U, but the problem with them is that the drinking crowd might be upset that there's no bar. (but I think they can get it over it for one night, don't you?)

Another option is to have it somewhere cheaper, but then we get into the possibility of lameness. Wheeler Farm? Shilo Inn? Chuck E. Cheese? Seriously people, I need your help and suggestions. What would you pay to go to your reunion? And would you rather have it at a little shabbier place with not as good as food so it would be cheaper? I'm just worried that if we go somewhere cheaper, people will still end up complaining that they paid $35 for a crappy meal.

Also, what do people do at 10-year reunions? Is there a program? We were thinking of having the historian bring her slide show from the good ol' days (I bet that job is much easier now that everything is digital!) Maybe we'll have a contest for who has the most kids, lost the most hair, etc. I'm not really sure what else to do. Any thoughts?

Please help!


On a side note, I need to give a shout out to our little cutie who turned 5 months today! Whoa! Happy 5-month B-day Anna! Here's her birthday pic enjoying her favorite swing...

6 comments:

naptime nostalgia said...

Hey ASh-
First off, love the baby legs, Syd has the same ones. Argile, stripes and dots. Aren't they the best?

Okay, as far as the reunion goes, since Jeff is in Dave's class I thought I might comment. My bro's class ('96) charged $50 per person for theirs and they said the turnout was low because of the cost, and that they wish that the cost were lower so more people would have been able to come. I think if you can get the cost around $25 per person you will get a better turnout and people won't be as grumpy. As far as the venue goes, I think someplace laid back like garnder villiage would be nice. The other thing you could do is make it a fund raiser thingy--where part of your ticket goes to charity. Then I think people would be fine spending more. Or you could get local businesses to sponsor tables, put their logos in the middle of the tables as centerpieces, and viola cheaper tickets.
I know alot of people would like the picnic at the park thing--and it would be nice, but honestly I would rather save the cost and just have a dinner somewhere for the adults only. If you do decide to do the park thing, just make it optional, no cost, bring your own dinner picnic. That way people who don't have kids, spouse or don't want to come don't feel left out.

I've never been to a reunion, so as far as activities go, I'm not really sure what goes on. I know there are companies that sell power point presentation/games with the top ten songs, movies, tv shows of the year. World events, national news etc. That would be fun to turn into a game somehow--to be played as tables. Also like you said voting to see who has the most kids, most sucessful etc. Also you could put a map of the world somewhere with pinpoints to see who has been the farthest around the world or something. I don't know maybe these ideas are all too cheesy. Feel free to use none of them.

So where do you find the time to plan a reunion, between working and being a mom? You are very impressive. And I got to thinking since you are planning Dave's, maybe you could go ahead and plan ours at the same time. Kill two birds with one stone thingy.

But seriously, if you need any help Jeff and I would love to help. I just volunteered Jeff without his knowing, that should be fun.

Thanks for doing all this work--and good luck.

amy

laurel said...

Hi! I am so sorry that you are planning all this! If I lived in UT I would totally be helping you. Also, we are sooooo sad that we can't make it in August. If it were a little earlier in August or in July we could come, but Brad is starting a new job Aug 13 and can't really come back out for it.

Anyway, good luck!!

Oh, and I will be in Utah from July 16- Aug 2, so I would love to get together. I can even help a little then if you want!

Stina said...

Good luck! I will be in the same boat next year so I very much am looking to see what you do this year for guidance. Ours will be much smaller, but I still have no clue about venue, cost, activities, etc.

Andrea & Eric's Blog said...

Well, we just went to my 20-year reunion last year, and 2 years ago went to Eric's 20-year. I went to my 10-year too... so here are my random thoughts:

My 10-year was just a cocktail party at a hotel - I don't remember how much tickets were but I think they were reasonable (and, thus, not memorable). There was a cash bar (this is the east coast - so drinking was the assumed activity) and tables where people sat & talked/caught up. We had no entertainment as such - we may have had a DJ or some background music, but I don't recall dancing. We did have a booklet prepared for everyone with updated addresses/names/family members - and that was the absolute best thing about the reuinion - that little directory.

At Eric's 20-year, they had a family picnic (which I give a thumbs up for) and a night at some place up the canyon - and I didn't go to that. You should talk to Eric - he'll also tell you that the best thing about his reunion was the website that was set up for it. Many people appreciate the opportunity to catch up (either at the reunion or via a website or a directory/booklet) more than any other thing about a reunion - so that is key.

My 20 year reunion pretty much blew! We paid $100 a head to go to a crappy room in a hotel in Rosslyn and eat really meager food. There was a cash bar - but for $100/apeice, you'd think that there would at least have been good food or free drinks... There was a lame DJ who played inappropriate music (and it takes a lot for me to complain about that) - and someone had made a video of footage from 1986 of our classmates... which was mildly interesting. We had a time capsule we'd made back in '86 that we opened, and there was a bit of dancing (but, see bad DJ above!) I didn't like it because the music was awful (why not do 80s music since we graduated mid-80s!) and the food was bleah and (worst of all) it was mega pricey!
I'd say that the picnic idea is great. For the evening, I'd search a cheaper option that more people can attend - because, after all, the whole point is to see folks! And if there is a bar - make sure it is cash :-P I can't give you good venue ideas for Utah - I just dont' know any. But I don't think you need entertainment, per se, at a 20-year reunion.
Just my thoughts ... GOod luck!

Andrea & Eric's Blog said...

I meant to say - you don't need much entertainment for a 10-year reunion (as opposed to a 20-year). But your ideas for "contests" sound cute!

Deming Family said...

Amy, you gave good advice! I agree with a lot of it, but honestly Ash, what ever you do people will complain. A lot of people don't take the time to think about what it takes to plan one of these things. IT'S HUGE! It's like you said, they'll complain that it cost's too much, or that there's no drinks, or that the food is nasty...not everyone will be happy no matter what.

I'm not being helpful...sorry. I agree with Amy in the whole Sugarhouse Park thing. Don't charge any money, just let everyone know you'll be having a get together at the Park by the playground with kids, bring your own lunch, and don't rent a pavilion. Would that work?

My poor sister-in-law is struggling with the same stuff. She's planning hers now and is feeling really overwhelmed. You two should have a chat!

Good luck!
Trisha