Tuesday, May 15, 2007

W-O-W!

So time has been flying by so fast lately and I haven't posted for awhile. Things have just been super busy, so to sum up this post all I can say is WOW!

  • 1st Wow: Anna is getting teeth! I am having a hard time believing that my little baby is old enough to get teeth, but I guess she is because she's got a sharp one sticking out of her bottom gum and the other one is on its way! Wow! I would try to get a picture for you, but unfortunately you'd most likely get a picture of her sticking her tongue out at you. (in a cute way, of course)

  • 2nd Wow: If you turn Wow upside down it spells Mom...for Mother's Day of course! I had a great mother's day, but I was definitely exhausted by the end of the day. We spent time with both our moms and we truly love and appreciate them both so much. I feel so lucky to have my mom and Dave's mom in our lives. And Wow...I'm a mother now! It's kind of weird to be called a "mother." It sounds much older than "mom" and much more intimidating. I do love motherhood though. I can honestly say that I have never been happier! Yes, really, even with the spit up, the poopy diapers, the 10 extra pregnancy pounds that I'm still trying to lose, the sleepiness, the laundry, and getting my house taken over by baby toys. I still love it! What a small trade off for all of the smiles, the giggles, the loving gazes, the curious looks, the excited shrieks, the peaceful sleeps, the squeezes and cuddles, and the purest love of all. I love being a mom!

  • 3rd Wow: So this isn't so much of a wow, but my watch broke last week and it was driving me crazy not knowing what time it was. I wish I didn't have to ever know the time, but it's the 21st century with places to go and people to see so tough luck. I got a new watch for mother's day and I love it! Dave picked it out and it suits me perfectly! Wow! I finally know the time again! I feel much better now.

  • 4th Wow: So to continue on my mother's day surprises, I had the biggest surprise of all when I went to church. I knew I was getting a church calling because I had a meeting with the bishopric. I didn't really know what to expect, but I was thinking they were going to have me team teach the teenagers Sunday school with Dave since he's gone on some Sundays. Well, that would have been nice and simple. I hope you're sitting down because you will be shocked to know that I have been called to teach Gospel Doctrine! What?! Me? Oh, Wow! I am a primary teacher! I sing songs, give simple lessons, and hand out treats. How does this qualify me to teach Gospel Doctrine? Too bad I don't have a picture of my face when they asked me. I still am in shock over this one! (For those non-LDSers, Gospel Doctrine is the adult Sunday School class. So everyone from 18 to 100. And since about 90% of the class is older than I am, they are all more knowledgeable so it will be pretty funny for me to try to teach them.) I don't know how I'm going to do it! I guess if the bishopric has faith in me, then I should too. It's just that I always think of the Gospel Doctrine teachers as scripture masters and the spiritual giants of the ward and I am definitely neither. I have a long ways to go, but hopefully I'll learn and grow a lot from this new challenge. I'm still scared though!

  • 5th Wow: To usher in summer, last Saturday night Dave and I took Anna to the Sno Shack that finally opened on Friday. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that it was after 9:00 and we took Anna out when she should have been in bed. Don't judge me. Anyway, I guess we found the hang out for the Highland and East High School kids. The Sno Shak was packed with teenagers and we waited in line for about a half hour for our sno cones. (it was totally worth it!) As we stood there in line, we watched all of the girls and boys goofing off in the parking lot of Rite Aid and it seems like that was just yesterday for us. (Although I think I remember wearing more clothes than the girls do these days!) And there I was standing in line with my husband and our baby in a stroller. Wow! I felt so old. It was weird. Loved the sno cone though!
  • 6th Wow: Anna can wave now. I'm not sure if she knows what it means though. I was at the store on Saturday and she was patiently waiting because it was taking so long to get through the line. I started waving at her telling her it would be another minute and she started to wave back at me! Wow! It was really cute. Then all day Sunday she was waving at anyone she could. I think we have a social butterfly on our hands.

So I think I'm out of wow's for now. (which I'm sure you are grateful, it's getting a little annoying) I'm getting sleepy and I ramble when I'm sleepy so I better stop now. Here's some pics from the last few weeks...

you can't tell really here, but she is in the most uncomfortable position. She fell asleep watching her fishies. It was hilarious. Yes, she only has a diaper on.

Portrait Session with my mom. (In other words, Grandma's favorite way to babysit while I'm at work)

This is tonight after she woke up from her nap. Happy Girl!

More smiles!

9 comments:

Darcie said...

guess what!? Ever since I startd my blog I can comment on other people's blog (i'm sure I could before, but I'm not too blog literate yet and couldn't figure it out.) Um, wow is right. gospel doctrine would be SCARY, and anna's already getting teeth. caroline will be jealous. Ryan just told me the jazz won! Yea!

naptime nostalgia said...

Ash,
I think it is so great that they gave you that calling. My bishopric called me to gospel doctrine six weeks after Cam was born and I thought they were joking. But they weren't. It was very intimidating, but my testimony grew like never before. I would prepare for so long, and so hard, because I didn't want to be embarassed at not knowing something, and you know what? It ended up being on of my favorite callings. I taught D&C and Old testiment. Lucky for you OT doesn't come around again for a few more years. That was tough. I know you and you will do a fantastic job. If you are ever nervous, just think, if Amy can do this, so can I. ha ha. Just trust in the lord, have faith, and study and pray like crazy and the lord will bless you with amazing lessons.

Good Luck!

p.s. Anna is adorable!

Rebecca said...

i'd be scared to teach gospel doctrine too. although, it'll be a good oppertuntity to really study the scritpures. good luck to you and we'll see you soon!

Andrea & Eric's Blog said...

You'll be great at Gospel Doctrine, Ashley! Just do it your way (a la Sinatra!). It is my own dream calling - and that is why I'll probably never be asked... and I"ll be stuck doing Enrichment Committee or (now) Genealogy teacher (!) for the stake.

kara jayne said...

Ashley you are going to LOVE Gospel Doctrine! You are going to do a great job and learn to love the scriptures even more. I taught fow a while when we were in Wisconsin and it is so far my favorite calling. Good Luck!

kara

Brad, Tracee and Brooks said...

Ashley, I'm so glad we are in touch again!!! Don't worry about Gospel Doctrine-you will be GREAT! Your smile is contagious and the other people will help with their comments! The treats wouldn't hurt with adults too! Anna is so darling! I have a social butterfly on my hands too-Anna will get you GREAT customer service as she gets older!!! Great to hear from you!!!

mary kelly said...

Ashley,

I am so excited about your new calling. Nothing blesses your life more than being Gospel Doctrine teacher (except a mission and being a mom). What an horor and what a great blessing your ward is in store for. I love, love, love Anna. I could eat her up. She always smiles at me coming and going. I adore her. Thanks for posting pictures of her. I am so proud of David. He is so great. God bless him always in his works and goals. I love all of you so much. Keep me posted on your lessons. Love Mary

mary kelly said...

oops I meant honor not horor. Oh boy what a stupid mistake. Oh well it made me laugh. love you, Mary

d feist said...

Congrats on the new calling. My Dave had that same calling every year since he returned from his mission until this year. Now he teaches the 14-15 year-olds. He really loved it, but was excited to have a younger class so he could tell more jokes. He thinks he is really funny. But you know that.