Friday, May 29, 2009

she keeps me safe

It's nice to know that someone's got my back. someone's watching out for me. keeping me safe. And I am lucky enough to have that someone be Anna. (I think Dave sometimes does too)



Lately I can tell that there are moments that she actually does listen to me. When she's scared I tell her, "Don't worry, I'll keep you safe." And when she's doing something dangerous and I tell her to stop and she gets mad, I remind her, "It's my job to keep you safe Anna!"



So for the past month or so, I've also been watched over.



When I'm out in the yard weeding..."Make sure the bees don't get you Mom! Don't worry, I'll keep you safe."



In the parking lot walking to the store..."Hold my hand mom. I'll keep you safe."



And at bedtime, I get a big hug and "Don't worry, I'll keep you safe." with a little pat on my back.



And it melts my heart.



But then tonight, she had a serious case of the sillies and we were having some bedtime drama. For the past few weeks she drags bedtime out as looooong as possible by acting silly and not cooperating with ANY part of the bedtime routine. So I told her it was bedtime and not playtime and left the room. Then came the floodgate of tears and screaming. I waited for a few minutes for her to get the picture (although I do hate those cries!) and went back in the room. She gave me a big hug and then looked at me and said, very seriously, "Mommy, you can't leave! It's my job to keep you!"



Well. She wins. She can keep me forever.



And I'm glad to report bedtime went much smoother after that.


I left the room happy to know that after all the mistakes I've made so far as a mother, she still wants to keep me.

7 comments:

Meesh said...

Oh! She sounds so precious. I wish I could see her talking, she was just a babe when you left. Don't those little things they say make being a mom worth while? She is a doll. Hope things are well! We miss you both.

Darcie said...

Ah, so cute. My favorite is the part about the bees. (I stay safe from bees by not weeding :) ).

Stina said...

Aww that is the sweetest story! You are a wonderful mother - but I bet it feels sooo good to hear your own daughter express it.

Stacie said...

I got a little tear in my eye when I read this. That is so cute.

morgan and ashley boyack said...

Ashley, Anna has always been such a smart and sweet young lady...Somewhere she skipped being a baby and has always been wise and beautiful!!! I loved your story..It truly is the little things that make life the best!!!

Darbee said...

sweetest. ever.

gaylynne said...

Anna is such a character. I agree with Ashley that she seems so wise for her age and has charisma already. Good for your that you are writing down her cute little sayings. You think you will always remember them but there will be so many that it is good to write them down so you won't forget.