Monday, September 24, 2007

FINALLY!

Our house is (almost) back to normal! The walls are back, the carpets are cleaned, the last paint stroke has been painted (we did the last coat since the "professional" just couldn't quite seem to get the texturing right), and the floors are shined! Can you believe it took over 2 months? Including 2 weeks of moving out? It was craziness, but we are glad to have our house back. I must say that I don't think it will ever be the same, but in trying to keep with my new theme (see previous post...embrace the benefits) I am going to appreciate it for how it is. It is just a great feeling to be able to use our basement again! With Anna crawling, it makes such a difference to be down on the carpet instead of those slippery hardwoods. Plus she can't get in to quite as much trouble downstairs. The only things left to do are some touch ups on our hardwoods (hopefully he's coming tomorrow!) and a new cabinet door in our kitchen. Yay! I'll be so glad to be done with all of this! And it certainly is nice to have this place feel like home again.



On an unrelated note...Anna has finally made the switch to whole milk! It was a little earlier than I originally planned, but I started noticing she wanted to nurse for comfort in addition to just hunger. And if that kept up, I knew it would be harder to ween the longer I went. Plus we have a big trip coming up in a few months, and she is not a very discreet feeder, so I wanted to get her adjusted before we leave to avoid any potential flashings to the general public and fellow plane passengers. I set out to make a complete transition...whole milk in a sippy cup. Well, after days of trying many varieties of sippy cups (and about $20 in sippy cups later!) I think it's safe to say she wasn't quite ready for that yet. As soon as I tried the bottle, she took right to it. We'll save the sippy cups for later I guess. The greatest news of all is that I won't have to pump anymore at work! I'm sick of carrying that dumb black backpack with me. So it's another big milestone for Anna and me! I am still nursing for mornings and nights, so the success of that cut off is yet to be determined. But for now, she's a whole milk girl during the day! This is probably pointless info for you, but it consumed a lot of my week last week, so it's great news for me! Sorry if it was too much info for you readers!
And I finally got to use Dave's birthday present. It was like he knew what was coming or something. He gave me a gift certificate for a massage. How did he know how bad I would need it? He bought it 2 days before the flood. I went on Thursday and it was HEAVEN! I normally am not into the whole spa thing because I think it's so expensive, but after a few massages this past year, I think I need to reconsider. Must be the motherhood back pains or something. I ask Dave for a massage every day, but I just get a pat-pat, scratch-scratch, rub-rub, and a pat. When I was getting my massage, I was wishing that Dave was going to masseuse school instead of medical school. ahhhh. bliss.

9 comments:

kara jayne said...

Pat-pat, rub-rub, scratch-scratch, pat-pat.....It must be a Kelly boy thing! Seriously it ends up being more annoying than relaxing. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a Professional massage! You deserve it.

I'm so happy for you on the whole milk thing. The transition can be a major process sometimes, so I'm glad it's behind you. On the sippy cup front, I'm one of those mean Moms who lets the baby have a bottle up until his/her first birthday and then the next day it's gone. Of course I try to introduce the sippy cup here and there before that, but if they don't have it down by then, they learn pretty quick. It took Jack until about 3:30pm the day after his birthday to finally relent and take the sippy. I don't know why I'm always SO ready to get rid of the bottles. Now, I can't wait until Nora is 2 because then I will be sippy cup free!!!

I'm so glad the house is back to normal. That's one more stress you just don't need. Looks great!

*Leslie* said...

We have really struggled with sippy cups. My little boy is nearly 13 months old and he loves a sippy full of water, and he likes milk in a bottle but He REFUSES milk in a sippy - who knows...I didn't know you were working, where do you work?

Stina said...

Congrats on all of the above! It must be so nice to have your house back to normal again and not have to deal with those flaky workers. Also congrats on not having to pump at work! That is a huge deal! I love massages too. Have you ever gone to the $20 ones at the college of massage therapy on South Temple? You have to sign up and pretty much leave your day open but it is cheap and massages are so great!

Stina said...

Also, where are you going on your big trip in a few months? How exciting!

Deming Family said...

Your family room looks awesome. Glad it's all back to normal.

kecia said...

Hooray! I bet you are SO happy to have things back to normal! What a mess to be in-good for you getting a massage! That sounds really nice!

Rebecca said...

I'm glad that you guys are settling back into your home. What a disaster that was. Great timing on the massage too! Way to go Dave!

Darcie said...

Ash, love that picture of the sippy line up. It so well illustrates our phase of life right now :). It took Caroline a couple weeks to catch onto the sippy cup thing, so Anna is in good company. If she hasn't caught on by the time you go on your trip (where are you going, by the way?), I recommend the Nuby sippy with the soft nipple. The soft nipple seemed to be the thing that finally made Caroline realize, "oh this is like a bottle, I can get milk out of it . . .".

Sue said...

I too get the Kelly back rub. Bummer. I try to explain to Ryan that it's going to cost him money to have someone else do it. The poor guy really tries. I'm so glad you were able to take a little time for yourself. It's so sad that it doesn't happen often enough. I'm happy to hear that your house is back together. I totally understand how it just doesn't feel the same. Good luck with the new sippy cup venture. I think I will have sippy cups for years to come still. I just hate cleaning up spills and they help my kids keep the fluids going.